Catalyst #2:I can grow my career
Why this matters
Excellence in research, learning, and operations is integral for faculty and staff to achieve their career aspirations at UBC, and for the university to achieve its ambitions identified in the UBC strategic plan.
UBC is a locus of interdisciplinary, collaborative, and creative research, programs, and projects where people actively pursue unique solutions in many fields. This requires intentional academic, professional, and personal growth opportunities for current and future generations of faculty and staff.
We have the opportunity to contribute to a sustainable and respectful workplace by valuing one another’s contributions and embracing a culture of respect. By supporting one another, and building connections both within UBC and beyond, faculty and staff at UBC can meet their full potential and career aspirations.
Creating opportunities for career growth and ongoing learning are important for faculty and staff engagement and retention. Professional growth was the top driver of engagement for both faculty and staff in the 2017 Workplace Experiences Survey.
What the numbers say
What will UBC look like in 2025?
- Develop a phased approach to delivering professional development that supports career growth, agility and engagement.
- Continue investing in efforts to enhance scholarly and leadership opportunities for women, racialized peoples, and Indigenous peoples.
- Increase access to coaching, mentoring, and other development opportunities to meet the unique needs, experiences, and expectations of faculty and staff throughout their careers.
- Create opportunities for faculty, staff, leaders and student employees to connect across the university in social and professional ways and contribute to engagement in the workplace.
- Continue offering research support through internal funding programs, shared facilities, and initiatives which enable collaboration within and across disciplines and communities, as articulated in UBC’s Strategic Plan.
- Support faculty in more integrated and innovative ways by bringing together resources available within the VPA’s, VPRI, and VPHR (e.g. Awards, Centre for Teaching, Learning & Technology, Mentoring, Coaching).