Equity, diversity and inclusion are necessary conditions for attracting and retaining the best and brightest students, faculty and staff from around the world. This requires that we create inclusive environments free from racism in which to work, learn and live.
Working toward change
In June 2020, President Ono reaffirmed our institutional commitment to inclusion and called for the acceleration and intensification of our efforts to build a more inclusive campus.
We must all enhance our efforts to:
- Implement the Inclusion Action Plan
- Diversify students, faculty and staff
- Support and provide resources for identity-based spaces and groups
- Recruit, retain and support Black students, faculty and staff
- Provide training and education on anti-racism
This is a call to action for all community members to confront hatred, oppression, violence and injustice and to support and elevate those who are traditionally, systemically and historically marginalized.
Visit the Anti-Racism at UBC website to learn about UBC’s efforts and accountability.
Anti-racism and inclusive excellence is one way we model our words through action, live UBC’s values, and hold each other accountable for inclusive and impactful leadership. Learn more about how we’re making UBC an inspiring place to work through Focus on People 2025.
- President and Vice-Chancellor Santa Ono’s Statement on Anti-Asian Racism (March 20, 2021)
- Spring 2021 Message from the Provost (March 09, 2021)