UBC is recognized today as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2022.
This award recognizes employers that offer the nation’s best workplaces and programs for young people starting their careers.
As we strive to make UBC a great place to learn and work for all, many programs and services are designed to welcome young employees and those who are new to the workplace, and help them grow in their careers. These programs include university-wide orientation and in-house apprenticeship programs, as well as coaching and career navigation services, workplace learning opportunities, tuition waivers and professional development funding.
This marks the tenth consecutive year UBC has been awarded this honour – here are three reasons why UBC was selected this year:
- UBC’s Postdoctoral Fellows Office is a resource centre that provides support, advocacy, and professional development for postdocs — the Office’s flagship initiative is the “Foundations of Career Planning” program, a three-part workshop series supplemented with sessions in personal and professional effectiveness, academic growth, career building and leadership.
- The office also manages a Postdoctoral Fellows Teaching Internship, a teaching development program to provide postdocs with an opportunity to develop and deliver guest lectures with a faculty mentor — the program includes a teaching-intensive workshop and a one-term mentorship program.
- UBC manages a Red Seal culinary apprenticeship program, enabling chefs to earn their certification while immersed in a full range of culinary experiences at the university.
As part of the university community, faculty and staff are invited to mental health training and workshops and are encouraged to take part in workplace wellbeing initiatives. In addition to these supports, faculty and staff have access to a range of physical health options, including athletics and recreation facilities, which complement UBC’s many attractions, at our Vancouver and Okanagan campuses.
Read more about Canada’s Top 100 Employers awards at http://www.canadastop100.com/young_people/
- Looking to join UBC? View our careers and job postings.
- Visit UBC Today for the latest news, events, and useful dates from across UBC, curated for faculty and staff by UBC Internal Communications.
- Visit Focus on People 2025 to learn how we’re striving to make UBC a first-choice place to learn and work.