UBC is recognized today as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2023.
This award recognizes employers that offer the nation’s best workplaces and programs for young people starting their careers.
As we strive to make UBC a great place to learn and work for all, many programs and services are designed to welcome young employees and those who are new to the workplace, and help them grow in their careers. These programs include university-wide orientation and in-house apprenticeship programs, as well as coaching and career navigation services, workplace learning opportunities, tuition waivers and professional development funding.
As part of the university community, faculty and staff are invited to mental health training and workshops and encouraged to foster workplace wellbeing and take part in wellbeing initiatives. In addition, faculty and staff have access to a range of physical health options, including athletics and recreation facilities, which complement UBC’s many attractions at our Vancouver and Okanagan campuses.
Three reasons why UBC is named one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People this year:
- UBC’s Postdoctoral Fellows Office is a resource centre that provides support, advocacy, and professional development for postdocs — the Office’s flagship initiative, the Foundations of Career Planning program, aids participants in transitioning to the next stage of their careers through the creation of a development plan, support in assembling a professional portfolio, and help with interviewing and negotiation.
- The office also manages a Postdoctoral Fellows Teaching Internship, a teaching development program to provide post-docs with an opportunity to develop and deliver guest lectures with a faculty mentor — the program includes a teaching-intensive workshop and a one-term mentorship program.
- UBC manages a Red Seal culinary apprenticeship program, enabling chefs to earn their certification while immersed in a full range of culinary experiences at the university.
This marks the 11th consecutive year UBC is awarded this honour. Read more about Canada’s Top 100 Employers awards at http://www.canadastop100.com/young_people/
- Looking to join UBC? View our careers and job postings.
- Visit UBC Today for the latest news, events, and useful dates from across UBC, curated for faculty and staff by UBC Internal Communications.
- Visit Focus on People 2025 to learn how we’re striving to make UBC a first-choice place to learn and work.